11.05.2009

Disney Did Medical!


And I'm not talking about The Fantastic Voyage! I was listening to Chicago-based current events-based radio show, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me!, while working on my graphic design project and they stated that Disney created a short about the menstrual cycle years ago. Not gonna lie, I couldn't believe it! So what do I do when I want to find out something? That's right, google it! There it was: The Story of Menstruation. Made in 1946, this informative animated cartoon reminds me of Cinderella with the narration, the illustration, and the typical stereotype of women at that time. Some of the absurd taboos that were thought to be true, wow! Not taking a shower during the time?! Gross! Oh, and avoid constipation? Does anyone ever purposely get constipated?! Oh and the end reel, yeah, that doesn't always happen that way. I guess times have changed, you can totally see it through this video. You have to check it out to believe it; I personally thought it was hilarious. What do you think?

School has been interesting of course. I had great reviews on my logo design (I will post the finished piece next week), really need to work on my animation, and I have a Pathophysiology exam this Friday that I should probably be studying for now. So on that note, I'm out!

Video courtesy of youtube.com. The Story of Menstruation. Educational animation by Disney. 1946.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

note to self: don't lift a chair during THAT TIME. lol.