8.30.2009

Echo-echo-echo-echolocation


Echolocation is a complex process and an even more difficult one to illustrate since most of the mechanism works with air, sound waves, and nerve impulses. However, I wanted to do something with my favorite animal in a biological illustration, so I was determined. Working with my newly experimented graphic style was much easier this time so that wasn't much of an issue like last time. Another factor that made this illustration difficult was the lack of accurate bottlenose dolphin anatomy; most of my findings were schematic in nature. This was why my initially-planned first illustration became my last. I needed to do lots of research to find what I was looking for.

What do you think?

Echolocation mechanism of the bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus). Lindsey Pionek. Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. 2009.

2 comments:

Josy said...

This and your dura illustration are both super-awesome. (The thumbnails really don't do them justice at all.)

Lindsey said...

Thanks Josy. I totally agree that the thumbnails don't do it justice, but what can you do?! :D