5.22.2009

Need a Hand?





When I saw these "handy" fixtures all over my former college roommate's bathroom in the house she is renting, I raved over them. She, on the other hand, would have done without and thought that they were kinda creepy. I first saw these helpful hands and feet months ago and I didn't want to post until I found the actual set for purchase. Without any luck, I surrendered and could not wait any longer to post. As you can see, the can hold things like towels, soap, toilet paper and drying racks. Though she is now in the process of finding a different place, I still want to tear out those fixtures for myself and replace them with something more traditional. I don't think the next potential renter or owner would care too much!



I did find a product comparable in function and design produced by designer Harry Allen. His designs are clever and bring a sense of naturalism to an otherwise rigid and typical design. To be more specific, one series that he created were casts of his own hands in different gestures to be use for holding anything that one can think of. Names such as Grab, C'Mere, Offer, Bestow and Om mimic the gestures and can be purchased for $79 each. Give yourself a hand and check them out!


Also, if any readers have any idea of where to find ceramic hand and feet fixtures like the ones above, please let me know by posting a comment. Thanks!

Photo courtesy for last photo from harryallendesign.com. C'Mere Hand Hook, Harry Allen, 2004, Resin.

No comments: