6.12.2009

Workin' It


Yes, I am back in the workforce... well kinda. I have just started working as a graduate assistant at the UIC ITL (Instructional Technology Lab). I'm very happy to be there, but getting started is going to be the hardest part of the job. After finishing all the paperwork and what not, I didn't know exactly when I was going to start so I was just waiting and keeping myself occupied with other activities which did not include checking my email religiously when I wake up in the morning like I do when I'm in school-mode. One day, a fantastic, sunny Tuesday, I didn't check my email until 1 pm. I received an email from my employer (from that same morning sent at 8:17 am) apologizing for not responding for awhile and asked for me to come in at 1 pm that day. #$^&! Needless to say, I jumped up, changed my clothes, cleaned up a bit and was out the door. Thank goodness I only live a 15 minute walk away and I don't have to dress up too much for the job. I was so upset at myself when I was power walking to my first day of work already late. Great first impression Lindsey. Needless to say, the person that was training me wasn't really informed either so it was okay. He just laughed at the my explanation and we went on. Phew, I learned from that lesson, even though it wasn't all my fault. What if I was gone or had an appointment that day, you know?

Anyway, we started right then and there and needless to say, there was a lot of information thrown at me at once. The job requires being a tech help person to help faculty with Blackboard, a Web-based course-management system designed to allow students and faculty to participate in classes delivered online or use online materials and activities to complement face-to-face teaching. Therefore, I need to know it backwards and forwards, inside and out. Okay, I can do that. But wait, there's more! We are there to help with technology, which means other forms of software as well. This includes video-editing, knowing everything about all the Adobe products, VCR to DVD transfers, html language, and on and on and on. I dabbled in some of these programs but not to the extent to teach someone else at the moment. @$#^! Needless to say, I went home satisfied that I started working before classes, but now I have all this to learn as well! It will be fine though, I mean I didn't expect to not learn or do anything for the benefits that come with being selected for an assistantship. Still very happy, plus I have been having a great time enjoying my freedom to explore the city and hanging out with friends. Unfortunately, my social life will be coming back to graduate school level in a mere four days.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Your blog is more fun than looking at pictures of tonsillitis, which I may or mat not have.