4.07.2009

2016 Hopeful




It was quite a week for Chicago. Everything was beautiful and it was warming up (other than that freak snowstorm a couple days ago). I also noticed lots of Olympic flare going up around the city but didn't think anything of it. It was all for a good reason. The IOC (aka International Olympic Committee) was in town sizing up the city to see if it could be suitable for the 2016 Summer Olympics. I have to say that Chicago did a pretty good job promoting themselves. Their branding is impeccable; you can't help but look at the stimulating white space with bright ribbons of color simulating graceful movements of all of the sports. The website is amazing; I can't help but take a look at it everyday now. My favorite ad promoting the city is the swimmer over the Chicago River downtown... very appropriate and clever. I can't find it anywhere that I can post it, but you can check it out here.


The logo in itself is beautiful and with meaning. I don't want to sound biased, but I think Chicago has the best logo (even though it messed up the first shot). It's clean and sophisticated.

The IOC inspectors are now going to visit competing cities; Tokyo, then Rio de Janeiro and finally Madrid. Keep Chicago in your hearts for the future bid...if not only for the athletics, for the design.

Photo courtesy of chicagosuntimes.com, chicago2016.com, and blog.pinkergreen.com.

2 comments:

Welcome to KNSW said...

I bet a Chicago Olympics would be excellent.

Lindsey said...

I totally agree; keep your fingers crossed!