11.21.2008

Oh the Joys of Public Transportation


Both classes were canceled today, which was like a godsend....I caught up so much today on anatomy it was crazy....I do still have a bit to go though, but it will be fine. I did not leave the apartment once today. Yesterday was a different story.

Well one of my friends from undergad invited me over for a dinner party. Awesome! Well the thing is since she didn't want to go into the city during rush hour, she wanted me to take the Blue Line to the stop right before O'hare. You know, it should be no big deal I thought. Well just about everything that could go wrong did, of course. I usually take the UIC bus to the corner of my apartement from campus. Didn't see one so I just walked my 15 minutes back and didn't even see one bus go past me....very reliable, can you tell? So by the time I got back to the apartment I wanted a bite to eat and my new boots that I ordered online were on my doorstep when I came home.... of course I needed to try them on! So I'm still rushing. I have an hour to get to where my friend is. I must have just missed the bus that I have to take to the Blue Line because 3 Western Express buses went by by the time I could finally get on the regular Western bus... so there we go 20 min gone. I could have walked there in the time I was waiting, but I don't go walking around my place after dark, so I waited.

Got off at the bus at the El station, and I see the El going towards O'hare in the distance coming to my stop. SHIT! I need to cross 4 lanes of traffic, swipe my card through, and sprint down the ramp to get there... I go for it. Nope! Too slow, I missed the El. DAMNIT! So now waiting once again, I get a text from my friend saying that she is there already! SHIT! I look at how far I have to go and yeah, she's going to be waiting some time. The El comes and we are off. I should be smooth sailing from here and I have my anatomy book to keep me company. As soon as we get in the Loop, the El just stops. "Can I have your attention please: the train that you are on is experiencing technical difficulties, please wait for a few minutes until the driver ..... blah, blah blah.." Great, not only am I already late, but the El that I was on just HAD to break down. So we sit there for 15 minutes not moving. I text my friend: "me and public transportation are not getting along".

Finally we start going again, well about 45 minutes late, I finally hop into her car and we are off to the burbs, another 1/2 hour. Man, thank God we are good friends, I felt bad for her waiting so long.

Well we finally got there and had dinner and visited, it was such a good evening to be out and about for a bit. Too bad we don't live closer... things would be much easier..... but that's just how it goes with public transportation.....

No comments: