1.16.2009

MS and Art


Yay for Thursday! On Thursdays I have no class scheduled and yesterday my morning class was canceled because of the bitter cold. I wish I could have stayed in instead of freezing my tush off (negative temperatures...brr!), but it just gave me a few more hours at my internship. They kept me busy too, let me tell you. One of the projects I'm responsible for is my first brochure for the National MS Society dealing with volunteering. I'm a big fan of giving back to the community, so this project is something to look forward to! It is my first real project other than editing materials others have done, so they trust me and are giving me more responsibility. I was dying today though; coffee was not working. For some reason I couldn't fall asleep last night....so I tossed and turned in bed until 2ish. I was up this morning at 6:30. Ugh, I hope I'm not stressing myself out already!



While I was at work and tooling around National's website, up popped some medical-inspired art of the homepage! I was taken back because I wasn't expecting it. Of course, I clicked on the link and took a little break to read about Elizabeth Jameson and her art.

Elizabeth J. Jameson is a lawyer-turned-artist that started painting more frequently during her rehabilitation sessions for her progressive multiple sclerosis symptoms. Her first subjects were floral still-lifes, but eventually she wanted to paint subjects that would reflect her civil rights advocacy background. The idea of illustrating her disease came to her. The symbol of MS to her, and probably many others living with MS, is the MRI scan.

Jameson used her own MRI scans, lesions and all, to show the world what people living with MS see and go through when they are at the doctor's office. The process that she uses to transfer her own brain scans by silk or etching. Her use of color makes the MRI print stand out front-and-center. Her intention is to spur conversation by creating beautiful peices of artwork from something so menacing.

“It’s scary, it’s awful, it’s ugly — and beautiful, and intellectually fascinating, and aesthetically fascinating,” Jameson said.

To find out more about Elizabeth Jameson, go to her page on the National MS Society website, or to her portfolio website.

Photo courtesy of www.jamesonfineart.com. Jameson, Elizatbeth. Mind on Fire and Backbone

No comments: