2.20.2009

Capacity


Who would have thought to have done the tracheobronchial tree in glass? That person would be Anne Cattrell, a sculptor that lives in London. The piece, named "Capacity," is made from lamp worked glass as was inspired by interest in the sciences. Her particular focuses are in neuroscience, anatomy, and meteorology which inspire her in her creations. She also prefers to use glass because of its transparency and revealing properties.

'I choose the familiar, for example a cloud, so whatever language you speak there is a kind of universal understanding. It is the transformation and freezing into three-dimensions of this iconographic subject matter that interests me: what happens when you contemplate something you think you know but shouldn't really be seeing this way. This three-dimensional vantage point allows the viewer to examine the subtle shifts and rhythms which ceaselessly occur in the natural world and
within the body.'
- Anne Cattrell


I can't believe how intricate she was able to be with the brochiole system. Unfortunately, I was unable to find out much more about her process or her artwork online. Hopefully I will find something more since she does have such an interest in science and art.


Now to me. :D Today was LONG. I thought it would be great idea to have Friday off of my internship so I could work more on my 3D Max assignment since I have to leave a little early sometimes. However, that only leaves me with 2 days to get 20 hours in. I did it anyway. It will feel nice to not have to run around tomorrow, but these last 2 days have been quite exhausting with 10 hours of my internship as well as doing classwork on top of that. It has been a great experience though and I would rather be busy than bored, even though I tend to stress myself out at times. I just need to step back and focus on the big picture and diligently work on my classwork.

Tomorrow I have my critique on my sexy cecum in Illustration Techniques. Hopefully it goes well.


Photo courtesy of denzeen.com. Anne Cattrell, "Capacity", 2000, Lamp worked glass.


1 comment:

Josy said...

Squee! I <3 glass!