2.01.2009

My Excursion to Milwaukee


In continuation of my never-ending week of being so tired, it is Saturday. On this day I was on my way to go to Milwaukee to meet in the middle with my family for my birthday celebration and my Mom's (on February 3). Since I didn't go to bed until 3 because of upstairs, 9 AM came quickly and it felt like 6 AM. I rolled out of bed, finished packing, and was off to take the bus. I know I took out my U-Pass for the bus so I didn't have to fumble for it at the stop. When I got there, it was nowhere to be found. Seriously? It must have fell out of my jacket pocket so I left the bus stop to retrace my steps. As soon as I was up the the stairs to open my apartment door (with my very large and heavy bag, by the way) and realized where I put it..... in my back pocket. Needless to say, I was a little ticked at myself. I trudged back to the bus stop and thankfully didn't miss it.

I was off the bus and going to the Blue Line stop now. It came in a matter of a minute.... it was going to be a good ride and I was going to have plenty of time to catch the Amtrak to Milwaukee. Got on the train, sat down, and the doors do not shut..... here it comes..... "Beep beep" Attention passengers, this train is experiencing difficulties. Please stand by until we fix this situation." Awesome. What made it worse than standing there for 15 minutes, was that there were two individuals right in front of me sucking face on the El. Right in front of me facing my direction at 9:30 in the morning. While trying to avoid looking, the El finally started moving, but now I was worried about running late.

Though I made it, I was tired and sweaty. The Amtrak was nice though, I did get my own two large seats and I was able to sleep some. Eventually, it was time for the Milwaukee Airport stop and assuming since there is only one stop in Chicago, that there was only one stop in Milwaukee. I got off like I thought I was supposed to, but of course I was wrong. There are TWO in Milwaukee, but only ONE in Chicago..... it doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, my parents had to travel a bit more to get there and I waited. Eventually, they were there and we went back to the hotel, The Ambassador. It was a beautifully designed hotel with an Old World, Art Deco feel. We dropped off our stuff and we were off the Milwaukee Public Museum to see the Titanic Exhibit. Not only was is a beautifully-designed exhibit, but it was a different way of seeing it and it blew me out of the water, no pun intended. I was impressed. We went back to the hotel afterwards and had drinks and dinner at the hotel. Very good and classy food. It felt nice to be with my family this weekend in such a nice place and be away from everything. Plus I finally was able to catch up on my sleep! Back to school now. Keep posted for more medical-illustration based blogs in this week!

No comments: