2.21.2009

My, What a Big Eye You Have....



I think this one is for the record books people. This is by far the biggest eye that I have ever seen and it is in the US! Eye by Tony Tasset is a 12-foot diameter, fiberglass painted well, eye that is exhibited in Laumeier Sculpture Park in Saint Louis, MO. The detail of the iris and the ocular conjunctival vasculature is what captured me when I first took a look at it monumental piece. After doing a little bit of research, I found something even more interesting.....

Tony Tasset is a local! Yes, Tony received his Master of Fine Arts degree from The School of the Art institute of Chicago and is currently a University Professor at UIC in the School of Art and Design. I guess UIC is the place to be! Though Tasset recently has been creating large-scale permanent sculptural pieces for the outdoors, he works in a variety of mediums.

Though not solely science and anatomy-based, he created the Capuchine Chandelier, which uses the skeleton as an art material. It reminds me of the Roman Catholic Church of Sedlec in the Czech Republic as well as the catacombs of Paris, though these places actually used the real thing. Finding out more more about Tony Tasset was a great experience and I may have to contact him to learn more! Well back to working on my own medical-based projects!




Photo courtesy of Laumeier.com "Eye", 2007, Tony Tasset and Blog.daytonc.com "Capuchine Chandelier" 2006, Tony Tasset.

No comments: